By way of Introduction

I still don't totally get life. But mine is probably half over, so maybe I'm old enough to have learned something, and young enough to learn a whole a lot more.

Jesus said that He came to give us life and that more abundantly. Apparently, His idea of an abundant life and mine are not the same thing. My idea of an abundant life would be to win the lottery and live a life of pleasure. But that isn't happening, so He must have something else in mind. According to John 17:3 His idea of life is to know Him. So that's what I'm trying to do (get to know God), and hope to help others to do too.

The name of this blog is my attempt to express this. I choose the term FOG as an acronym for Friend Of God, but also as a way of saying the way isn't always clear to me.

Anyone who knows me knows I can be blunt at times. So was Jesus. The difference is that He was blunt and loving at the same time - I am not always. I don't mean to offend people (honest), but chances are I will at times. Please try to forgive me and not be afraid to come back.

Jerrid



Thursday, October 28, 2010

Did Moses love sheep?

I was thinking about Moses the other day. Most of us know he spent 40 years in the wilderness watching his father-in-law's sheep, but the Bible says very little about this time in his life. I'm guessing that's because there wasn't much to say. He got married and had kids which was cool I'm sure, but he also spent hour after hour after day after year watching sheep walk around. I can't help but think that he sat everyday and wondered how his life had gone from being the son of the king and a man of prominence to being a farm hand. I'll bet he kicked himself over and over for losing his temper and killing the Eyptian.



I'll bet he asked God why He even bothered to spare his life as a baby, just so he could end up following around a bunch of sheep that weren't even his own (and he probably didn't care that much about).



I think at some point in his life, Moses must have realized he was born to do something special. The son of a slave being raised as the son of the emporer! What an amazing opportunity to make a significant difference for his people. I'll also bet that he thought he blew it once and for all when he killed the guy and ran away. And the longer he spent alone in the desert the more he forgot about ever doing anything great. So much so, that when God spoke to him from the burning bush he didn't even want to go back.



Sure, that's all conjecture on my part. But since I've gone this far I'll keep going: I'll bet the 40 years killed his pride and any sense of the "aren't I special" feeling that he probably grew up with.



Maybe that's you. Maybe you thought you had a great calling on your life at some point. Maybe you think you screwed up your one chance and now you're living on the back side of the desert somewhere doing some menial job. If it is, look to Moses, be faithful to whatever you're doing, and let God do His work in your life. Who knows what God will yet do?

No comments:

Post a Comment