By way of Introduction

I still don't totally get life. But mine is probably half over, so maybe I'm old enough to have learned something, and young enough to learn a whole a lot more.

Jesus said that He came to give us life and that more abundantly. Apparently, His idea of an abundant life and mine are not the same thing. My idea of an abundant life would be to win the lottery and live a life of pleasure. But that isn't happening, so He must have something else in mind. According to John 17:3 His idea of life is to know Him. So that's what I'm trying to do (get to know God), and hope to help others to do too.

The name of this blog is my attempt to express this. I choose the term FOG as an acronym for Friend Of God, but also as a way of saying the way isn't always clear to me.

Anyone who knows me knows I can be blunt at times. So was Jesus. The difference is that He was blunt and loving at the same time - I am not always. I don't mean to offend people (honest), but chances are I will at times. Please try to forgive me and not be afraid to come back.

Jerrid



Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Confessions of a proud donkey (slight re-do)

I heard a great sermon probably close to 15 years ago about the donkey Jesus rode on Palm Sunday. Just a simple donkey doing his job, not looking for fame or grumbling about his humble role. The preacher said we should have the same attitude as that donkey - just humbly promoting Christ.


Great analogy.
Hard to do.


As you may know, my entire adult life has been spent in some form of Christian ministry - radio announcer, missionary, missionary trainer, and now as a writer. So, I'd like to think that I've done my share of promoting Christ. But I know that many times I've wanted people to notice me while I'm doing it. If I had been Christ's donkey, I'd have been thinking Yes, worship Christ, He is worthy. But don't forget about me. Look how strong I am! Look how straight I walk!


Some of you know that 3-and-a-half years ago I thought I was on the brink of a huge role in world missions. I was the front-runner to lead a national missions movement that had the potential to see literally millions come to Christ. But through a long series of seemingly unrelated events I end up working in a tiny cubicle in a hidden corner of a ministry where hardly anyone notices me. A place where I take orders from other people, and I have quite limited influence. I actually enjoy my job, and I have a wonderful boss - but it is still humbling. I have often prayed for release into something else. Something greater. Something more in line with my experience and background. But for 2+ years I have sat in the same corner and answered to the same people.


Why? Well, I know this much:

- God doesn't need me there. There are no doubt thousands of people who could write the stuff I write. So it's not about my talent.
- God could meet my financial needs in many other ways. So it's not about money.

Instead, I am convinced I am there for me. For my character, my humility, my growth. The Great Physician has me on a regimen of spiritual therapy meant for my good. For how long, I have no idea. Maybe the rest of my life - maybe that's what it will take to bring my pride under control. That's His decision.


Mean time, I can complain about life, blame God (after all, a proud man can't blame himself), and get bitter, or I can submit, be content, and grow.

Can anybody relate?

3 comments:

  1. That's why I never got into counterfeiting, the better you are at it the less your work gets noticed. It doesn't even matter how good the the pay is. Without the praise of your fellow man what good is it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can sure relate. I was just thinking about Philippians 2:3-7. What kind of humility does God have anyway? Can you relate to THAT? Rocks my world!
    I used to pray for a double portion anointing for miracles and stuff--now I pray for a double portion anointing to walk in humility.
    Don't forget that we are predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ; in other words, God is very committed to fulfilling this promise. OUCH! God definitely is not too concerned with our comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jerrid,

    Yes, I know just what you mean. I recently had a four month break from work to recover from rotator cuff surgery and during Bible study recently, the question was brought up - what is our purpose?
    This brought up much pain. It was difficult to leave missions, still not sure that it will be forever. For now though, since Matt's medical issues - kidney transplant and heart problems - have made it necessary to have good insurance, medical care, and many anti rejection drugs. It is hard to just punch the clock each day, when we felt such a call on our hearts for a people group.
    For now, I just concentrate on raising our three kids and growing closer to God, allowing Him to work on my heart and mind.
    Glad to have learned from you and Michelle. Hope all is well with your family!
    In Him,
    Cory Stone

    ReplyDelete